Early access is a way for developers to provide immediate access to their game during development so they can work with its community to help make the best version of the game possible.
Why Early Access?
Sailaway is a huge game in many different ways, from the immense scale of the world’s oceans to the infrastructure needed to actually keep the game and features online. We are keen to ensure the game is as complete and stable as possible before we class it as ready for general sale.
Early Access is ideal for a game of Sailaway’s scale when the development team is small, this means the community will play a large role in helping to shape what the game ultimately becomes and ensures it gets the features that matter the most.
There will be bugs (which we will fix) and there will be server issues (which we will resolve) but by the end of early access period we hope to have created the ultimate sailing simulation that all can enjoy!
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
This all depends on the features and changes suggested by our players but we are currently looking at around 6 months or so.
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
Content will be the main improvement between now and the full version of Sailaway, we will be looking to expand the game in the following ways:
- More boats
- More tutorials
- More challenges
- More Events
- Improved ingame community features
- Improved world detail
- Improved heightmap data for oceans
Community feedback will also help shape the final games features.
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
The heart of Sailaway is complete and ready to play, players can sail almost anywhere in the world on a selection of different boats either alone or with friends. We fully expect there to be bumps along the way as this is still a game in development but we will be working as hard as we can to get any issues resolved as fast as reasonably possible.
Here is what you can currently expect to find in Sailaway Early Access:
- 5 Boats – 38′ Cruiser, Mini-Transat, 52′ Classic Yacht and 52′ Cruising Catamaran, 50′ Performance Cruiser
- Accurately modelled sails and controls
- All the oceans of the world to sail on in real-time
- Sail online with friends – on the same boat or alongside each other
- Real-time local, group and global chat
- Global sailing invites – easy to find new friends to sail with!
- Real Weather – accurately modelled weather from real world data
- Real Waves – accurately modelled waves based on location
- Real Water – accurately modelled water color based on location
- Real Sky – accurately modelled day & night sky
- Interactive world map – to plot and manage your voyages
- A small selection of tutorials
- A small selection of challenges
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
We currently have no plans on raising the price after we exit early access.
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
With a small team working on the game community involvement is going to be important to ensure we can get make Sailaway the best sailing simulation available.
We know Sailing is enjoyed by many different types of people in many different ways and we understand that our players will be the same. We will be keeping a close eye on your feedback so we can adjust development plans accordingly.
We will be actively involved in speaking to the community via the Steam forums and the forums available on our own website and will be making sure we do regular game updates to show development is ongoing.